Dundagas evaņģēliski luteriskā baznīca

Churches

Pils iela 10, Dundaga, Dundagas pagasts,

It is not possible to send message to this company as there is no e-mail provided. Please call to company using the Phone number provided in the contacts.

Description

Following the construction of Dundaga Castle (at the end of the 13th century), during the Catholic period, the castle chapel was established there and later used by the German parish. As from 1830 it could no longer be used and it burned down during a fire in 1872 along with the castle. The castle was reconstructed later, however the church was not. Now the stone ruines are preserved.

For the needs of the Latvian parish a wooden church existed 5 km from the centre of Dundaga since the 17th century. For about 100 years it operated in parallel with the castle chapel.

The construction of the current stone church was completed in 1766 under the care by the owner of Dundaga Castle, the Prince Karl fon der Osten-Sacken (1726-1794). Until the 1920-ies it was used by both parishes - German and Latvian. It was much bigger and lighter than its two predecessors.

The status of an architectural monument was granted to the church in 1935.

In the church there is the altar piece «Easter Morning» (1912) by Jānis Rozentāls and the organ built in 1859 by the Latvian farmer Ansis Dinsbergs, as well as the Bible dating back to 1689 and the guest book presented by Kārlis Ulmanis in 1936 with his own inscription there.

E-mail:
tic@dundaga.lv (primary)
Phone
29444395 (primary)
Area we are working
Dundaga.

Services

Churches.


Primary information

Legal form
Not mentioned
Registered / Inside the register
Yes
Services company provide
Not filled
Services, Products and related tags
Status
Unknown